Saturday, September 10, 2022

Creative Outlets

What to do with my creations? I make a lot of paintings, and I write a lot of essays, poems, stories. These provide a "creative outlet" for my thoughts and feelings, but there's basically no audience for any of them. Is that OK with me? I'm not willing to do the work or make the effort to sell them or publish them, although I will occasionally join or enter an art show. Still, I'd like to share them more widely if I knew a way to get them before people who were likely to enjoy them. I guess I need the sort of "creative outlet" that would show a potential audience my work. I'm considering social media, and I suppose I could give it a try until it got burdensome. 

Currently I'm developing a "found poem" composed of bits of conversation I overhear on my walks on the pier in the early mornings. I'm calling it "Beach Talk" and will post it later.

I also write down amusing things the grandchildren say or do. Here's an example of what my 3-year-old granddaughter did recently:

9/8/22


Yesterday morning, at 6:30 am, Ally walked into the ADU where I was already up and reading my book. She stared silently at me, then farted. I acted out shocked surprise, and she finally giggled. Then with a lisp, she told me solemnly, “That-th my fart-th.” I said I know. “My fart-th are HUNGRY.” “Oh?” I said, “How’s that?” “My fart-th love pancakes” she assured me and then she giggled. When I said maybe we should write a story about her hungry farts, she nodded and smiled. This exchange just cracked me up. What made her think of it?


No comments:

Post a Comment